Workaround for libpurple's lack of set_alias()

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 05:03:23 EST 2010

On 15/01/10 00:24, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Obviously libpurple needs a set_alias() (aka nickname/friendly-name) function.

Yes, it does.

I have a couple of issues with the patch:

• There's no way to tell what restrictions apply to the alias (most
obviously, length; but also, if this is to be used for formatting your
AIM screen name, that in that case you can only change case and add
whitespace);
• You can't tell whether the operation succeeded or failed.

But neither of these are problems unique to this function, and better an
imperfect function than no function. Any objections to shipping it in 2.7?

(I second Evan's comments.)

--
Will