One critical security flaw...

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Sun Jan 31 20:21:41 EST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 13:12, John Bailey wrote:
> On 01/13/2010 11:27 PM, John Bailey wrote:
>> My only reason for being hesitant to rush to 3.0.0 is that I was hoping we could
>> get gobjectification done for 3.0.0, but I don't see that happening.  In the
>> interests of Getting Stuff Done(TM), I propose the following:
>> 	* Finish the ICQ X-Status stuff ASAP for 2.7.0 (string freeze
>> 	  for release within 3 days of completed merge).
>> 	* As soon as 2.7.0 is out, create a branch such as
>> 	  im.pidgin.pidgin.2.7.x (I'm open to better names) from the tag
>> 	  of 2.7.0 for future maintenance releases.
>> 	* Once 2.7.x is branched, 2.x.y is API frozen--no new API unless
>> 	  absolutely required to fix a security issue.
>> 	* Once 2.7.x is branched, im.pidgin.pidgin is for 3.0.0 development.
>> 	  All new features, API additions, etc. should happen only on this
>> 	  branch or other branches that will be merged *only* to
>> 	  im.pidgin.pidgin.
>>
>> Thoughts, better ideas, etc are certainly welcome.
>>
>> John
>
> No one has bothered to reply to this message in the last two and a half weeks.
> Should I assume this means no one wants to do any of this?
>
> John

For lack of time to write something longer, this all sounds good to me.  I'd like to see all the big SoC branches merged for 3.0 (and merging in GObjectification *and* everything else would probably be...horrible).  Toward that, I threw together a wiki page http://d.pidgin.im/wiki/BranchStatus with a brief interview of the big branches and their status (which was mostly placeholders when I made it).

~Paul