commercial use

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Sun Jul 11 13:30:00 EDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 09:10 EDT, Max J. Pucher wrote:

> Luke,
>
> thanks again. I will discuss the bundling option with my development.
> Would it bundling evn if we adapted the Pidgin source code so that it could also interact with our product, meaning giving it some additional API? We would not integrate the product, but just call this API to communicate with it and ship it bundled rather than compiled with our product. We could call other chat clients through this and Pidgin would be able to work with other product through the API.
>
> Freundliche Grüße,
> With my best regards,
> Max J. Pucher

Using an API to interact with a GPLed program is a sort of grey area.  The project's historical stance on the question has always been that any pidgin plugin, being sucked in and run as part of the same process in the OS, must also be under the GPL.

I suspect though that you could use Pidgin's DBUS API or write a plugin (under the GPL) that presents a similar API, and then interact with that API from another program running as a separate process, to provide separation between the GPL'ed code and the non-GPL'ed code.

Please keep all communication on this issue CC'ed to the development mailing list (as I have done), as this is a thorny question that could benefit from the input of other developers, and not just myself.

Luke