openSUSE Pidgin Repository Now Online

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Jun 14 12:31:44 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 19:59 -0500, Nicholas Betcher wrote:
>> Anyways, upon further consideration I'm going to pursue an official
>> repository with openSUSE and go from there, however I am wondering if
>> that information could be put on the Pidgin website at some point?
>
> I don't see any harm in that.

Regarding linking to
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/nbetcher/... I know
our policy in the past has been to not link to packages built by
people not "affiliated" with our project.  I'm ok with changing that.
Maybe linking to the packages with a note along the lines of: "These
packages are unofficial and fairly new.  You're welcome to try them
('at your own risk'?).  Please email Nicholas and cc devel at pidgin.im
with any problems."

That would make it possible for people we don't know to package
Pidgin, and after a while we'll be able to trust them more and
eventually remove that note.

--Mark