Google Summer of Code

Jan Kaluza hanzz.k at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 03:11:22 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 10:54 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
>> * Mark Doliner had this to say on [03 Mar 2010, 15:33:00 -0800]:
>>> Google is doing their Summer of Code again this year (yay!).  Do we
>>> (Pidgin/Finch/libpurple) want to apply to be a mentoring organization?
>>
>> I think participating again this year would be great. There are some good
>> ideas listed on http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects, and
>> there are usually some good project ideas from the student applicants
>> every year, and they can all benefit the project. Specifically, I think
>> it's a good opportunity to start pushing towards 3.x, and
>> GObjectification, and all that goodness.
>
> I agree with participating, but only if we have enough developers who can be
> mentors. I also think we should have the requirement that all students use
> monotone for the *whole* of their project whether they like the requirement or
> not.  Ideally, I'd like to see students be required to interact with people
> other than their mentor(s), as well, preferably via the XMPP MUC.

If you are looking for developers who want to be mentors, I think I
could be the one. I was participating in the Summer of Code last year
under Pidgin organisation with XMPP - libpurple transport project and
my work still continues (http://spectrum.im). I also still sends some
patches to libpurple from time to time with Darkrain's commit-access
and patch-verification help :). I don't want to participate as a
student this summer, because I want to mainly work on Spectrum, but I
will definitely have time for mentoring, so it would be great if I
could help this way.