Google Summer of Code

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Mar 3 23:58:48 EST 2010

On 03/03/2010 10:54 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> * Mark Doliner had this to say on [03 Mar 2010, 15:33:00 -0800]:
>> Google is doing their Summer of Code again this year (yay!).  Do we
>> (Pidgin/Finch/libpurple) want to apply to be a mentoring organization?
>
> I think participating again this year would be great. There are some good
> ideas listed on http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects, and
> there are usually some good project ideas from the student applicants
> every year, and they can all benefit the project. Specifically, I think
> it's a good opportunity to start pushing towards 3.x, and
> GObjectification, and all that goodness.

I agree with participating, but only if we have enough developers who can be
mentors. I also think we should have the requirement that all students use
monotone for the *whole* of their project whether they like the requirement or
not.  Ideally, I'd like to see students be required to interact with people
other than their mentor(s), as well, preferably via the XMPP MUC.

GObjectification would be a great end, but we have to be careful in student
selection if we want this to be a project again this year.  GObjects can be an
unwieldy beast to understand, and even a grasp on the concepts isn't necessarily
enough for a student to succeed in the implementation Gary has in mind.  (I
still feel Gary's GObject plan is the way to go.)

>> If so I can fill out the application starting on March 8th (unless
>> someone else wants to fill it out? or wants to try their hand at being
>> our organization admin this year?)
>
> In case noone else steps forward, I can volunteer to be an admin this
> year.

I probably could be an admin this year, but I think it's best that I be used
only as a last-ditch contact.  Also, I absolutely cannot be a mentor under any
circumstances, even in an emergency--my upcoming work schedule for the summer
will prevent me from being able to dedicate enough time, and I will have to
travel out of state at least twice during the summer.

John