Workaround for libpurple's lack of set_alias()

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Mar 9 23:58:07 EST 2010

On 03/09/2010 04:01 PM, Evan Schoenberg, M.D. wrote:
>> But neither of these are problems unique to this function, and better an imperfect function than no function. Any objections to shipping it in 2.7?
>
> Can we please?  It'd be one less hack Adium is using to use libpurple - and would bring us darn close to that magic 0.
>
> -Evan

As I mentioned previously in our XMPP chat, I withdraw my previous objection to
such a function.  I would prefer that it be named something like
purple_account_set_public_alias() and call a prpl function.  Ideally both the
libpurple function and the prpl function would return a gboolean indicating
success (TRUE) and failure (FALSE) or some other clever status indicator.

Also, in Pidgin, it would probably make sense to have some sort of unified UI
for this.

John