Workaround for libpurple's lack of set_alias()

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Mar 10 00:06:38 EST 2010

On 01/28/2010 05:03 AM, Will Thompson wrote:
> • There's no way to tell what restrictions apply to the alias (most
> obviously, length; but also, if this is to be used for formatting your
> AIM screen name, that in that case you can only change case and add
> whitespace);

AIM supports a "Friendly Name" of sorts now as well that is unrelated to
screenname formatting.  I'm not sure we actually support it.  I stumbled across
this last year when someone reported a bug about the List Handler plugin not
properly handling AIM 6.0's .blt export files.  A function added to libpurple to
handle aliases/friendly names should not be conflated with screenname formatting
(I really feel we should just bring back the account action for it instead of
hiding it in the account editor's username field).

John