Pidgin GSoC Proposal

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Mar 15 02:07:51 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Sukhbir Singh <singheinstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am interested in porting Pidgin to the Symbian S60 platform, using Qt.
> There was demand for this on the Feature Request page:
> http://pidgin.im/survey/results/survey0featurerequests.html.
>
> My primary focus would be on implementing support for IRC, Google Talk,
> Jabber, MSN. (Again from the survey, the top used protocols)
>
> The benefits to Pidgin are obvious:
>
> 1. You will have a user base on the Symbian Platform.
> 2. It can very well become the de facto chat client on S60, taking into
> account its popularity. It is free, open source, works perfectly - a winner
> in all fields.
> 3. I have always wanted a free, open source IRC client on my phone (Nokia
> E63), hence this was the primary motivation for this project.
>
> Nokia has now started rolling out an app called "Chat" with the latest
> firmware updates for the E-series phones, but then again why use that if you
> have a free, open source multiprotocol-IM software? Also, it has no support
> for IRC and many other commonly used IM protocols, which are supported by
> Pidgin.
>
> If any developer is interested in mentoring this, please let me know.
>
> Of course, please feel free to ask anything related to this.

Hmm, there was an old version of Gaim for Qtopia[1].  I'm not familiar
with it, but I believe it used QT.  It would probably take a lot of
work to adapt the UI code from that project to work with the current
version of libpurple, but it might be easier than starting from
scratch.  Of course, it's possible that the QT UI for Qtopia doesn't
mesh well with Symbian.

And FYI, it's ok to submit a Summer of Code proposal to us without
having spoken to a mentor or having a mentor in mind.  We're usually
able to assign the most appropriate mentor based on the project
proposal.

--Mark

[1] http://qpe-gaim.sourceforge.net/