Pidgin GSoC Proposal

Sukhbir Singh singheinstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 04:09:34 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

I am interested in porting Pidgin to the Symbian S60 platform, using Qt.
There was demand for this on the Feature Request page:
http://pidgin.im/survey/results/survey0featurerequests.html.

My primary focus would be on implementing support for IRC, Google Talk,
Jabber, MSN. (Again from the survey, the top used protocols)

The benefits to Pidgin are obvious:

1. You will have a user base on the Symbian Platform.
2. It can very well become the *de facto *chat client on S60, taking into
account its popularity. It is free, open source, works perfectly - a winner
in all fields.
3. I have always wanted a free, open source IRC client on my phone (Nokia
E63), hence this was the primary motivation for this project.

Nokia has now started rolling out an app called "Chat" with the latest
firmware updates for the E-series phones, but then again why use that if you
have a free, open source multiprotocol-IM software? Also, it has no support
for IRC and many other commonly used IM protocols, which are supported by
Pidgin.

If any developer is interested in mentoring this, please let me know.

Of course, please feel free to ask anything related to this.

----
Sukhbir.