GSOC "libpurple detachable sessions" project

gillou.ray at free.fr gillou.ray at free.fr
Mon Mar 29 13:49:09 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm very interested in doing one of the GSOC projects proposed on the
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects
page. It's the "libpurple detachable sessions". Before sending you my
application with detailed stuff about me and the project, I would like
to briefly present myself and have some primary feedback from the
pidgin devs.

I'm a 21 years-old french student, free software lover, user and coder
since nearly 6 years. I've studied 2 years in computing, and 2 years in
sociology.

As I understand the detachable sessions project, the goal is to have :
- libpurple running as a deamon, managing silently all the IM accounts
- zero or more instances of libpurple based programs running on the
  same machine, each connected with the daemon and synced.

As this seems pretty feasible to me, I would like to propose to extend
this project in the following way: having clients and the daemon
talking remotly, from different machines. Roughly just like MPD
works. After digging into some part of pidgin's code, I understand that
currently the libpurple client must stay on the same system that the
deamon. For instance, the avatars are generated by libpurple in
~/.purple/icons/ which gives directly the pixbuf to the UI client. Or
file transferts would need to first exchange the file with the daemon.

So it seems more challenging. But I like challenges :) That's why I
would do what you've proposed firstly (minimum goal), and then the
remote stuff if I got the time to do it.

Feel free to poke me (gillux) on #pidgin if you want :)

Regards,
		-- gillux