GSOC "libpurple detachable sessions" project

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Mar 30 00:47:41 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 19:49 +0200, gillou.ray at free.fr wrote:
> As I understand the detachable sessions project, the goal is to have :
> - libpurple running as a deamon, managing silently all the IM accounts
> - zero or more instances of libpurple based programs running on the
>   same machine, each connected with the daemon and synced.
>
> As this seems pretty feasible to me, I would like to propose to extend
> this project in the following way: having clients and the daemon
> talking remotly, from different machines. Roughly just like MPD
> works. After digging into some part of pidgin's code, I understand that
> currently the libpurple client must stay on the same system that the
> deamon. For instance, the avatars are generated by libpurple in
> ~/.purple/icons/ which gives directly the pixbuf to the UI client. Or
> file transferts would need to first exchange the file with the daemon.
>
> So it seems more challenging. But I like challenges :) That's why I
> would do what you've proposed firstly (minimum goal), and then the
> remote stuff if I got the time to do it.

I think that's a pretty cool idea. In your application you may want to
mention what other RPC background you have. Also maybe look into
telepathy-haze to see what problems they faced when trying to wrap RPC
around libpurple, and see what kinds of API changes libpurple would need
to better accommodate those usages.

-khc