GSOC "libpurple detachable sessions" project

gillux gillou.ray at free.fr
Wed Mar 31 05:31:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:47:41 -0700
Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 19:49 +0200, gillou.ray at free.fr wrote:
> > As I understand the detachable sessions project, the goal is to
> > have :
> > - libpurple running as a deamon, managing silently all the IM
> > accounts
> > - zero or more instances of libpurple based programs running on the
> >   same machine, each connected with the daemon and synced.
> >
> > As this seems pretty feasible to me, I would like to propose to
> > extend this project in the following way: having clients and the
> > daemon talking remotly, from different machines. Roughly just like
> > MPD works. After digging into some part of pidgin's code, I
> > understand that currently the libpurple client must stay on the
> > same system that the deamon. For instance, the avatars are
> > generated by libpurple in ~/.purple/icons/ which gives directly the
> > pixbuf to the UI client. Or file transferts would need to first
> > exchange the file with the daemon.
> >
> > So it seems more challenging. But I like challenges :) That's why I
> > would do what you've proposed firstly (minimum goal), and then the
> > remote stuff if I got the time to do it.
>
> I think that's a pretty cool idea. In your application you may want to
> mention what other RPC background you have. Also maybe look into
> telepathy-haze to see what problems they faced when trying to wrap RPC
> around libpurple, and see what kinds of API changes libpurple would
> need to better accommodate those usages.

Good to hear this positive feedback :) Of course existent work in this
field must be studied. Telepathy-haze and Palm's adapter would be
particularly useful for the daemon part.

AFAIK, telepathy-haze is using D-Bus, not RPC. I imagined to use D-Bus
in this project since libpurple already provides D-Bus facilities for
remote communication and control. However, I'm not opposed to RPC, both
would need to be studied for me.

		-- gillux