Message indicator flash count under windows based on SPI_GETFOREGROUNDFLASHCOUNT is too short

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Nov 1 23:14:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 05:47:47PM -0400, Dave Siracusa wrote:

> I re-read what FOREGROUNDFLASHCOUNT: Set/Gets the number of times the Set Foreground Window flashes the taskbar button when rejecting a foreground switch request.
> Seems like this system attribute is for a shortlived number of flashes, not really appropriate.  I do think it best to be able to set our own count.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I would argue that since we are essentially mimicing the "reject[ion of] a
foreground switch request" (that is we are pretending that a switch
request was rejected and notifying instead) that it is still the correct
setting.

I will note however that I wonder if our usage of a flash count is in fact
the cause of the problem I mentioned where the icon doesn't stay
highlighted but instead returns to normal and that perhaps we ought to be
using FLASHW_STOP instead (though I'm uncertain how that would be intended
to work with a specific count here).

    -Etan