Translated ICQ/SSL error message in log

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Wed Nov 24 02:57:15 EST 2010

Hello,

I just tried the option "Require encryption" in account settings for my
ICQ account (Pidgin 2.7.7, manually compiled for openSUSE 11.3/x86_64).

This does not work for ICQ. The error message is

    "You required encryption in your account settings, but one of the
    servers doesn't support it."

In Pidgin's debug window I see the following message:

    (08:17:34) *oscar:* startOSCARSession was missing tlsCertName: <?xml
    version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <response
    xmlns="http://developer.aim.com/xsd/aim.xsd"><statusCode>200</statusCode><statusText>Ok</statusText><data><ts>[--
    deleted private (?) data
    private (?) cookie --]
    </cookie><upgradeData></upgradeData><betaData></betaData></data></response>
    (08:17:34) *connection:* Connection error on 0xf26420 (reason: 4
    gefordert, aber einer der Server unterstützt keine Verschlüsselung.)

I have two questions:

   1. What does the message "startOSCARSession was missing tlsCertName"
      mean? Doesn't ICQ support TLS? Or is this some kind of certificate
      error?
   2. Why is there an translated error message in log file? I think, it
      would be better (for people, who will read such logs) to have the
      original error message in log file. May be, we can do this with
      _N("You required encryption in your account settings, but one of
      the servers doesn't support it.") in
      libpurple/protocols/oscar/clientlogin.c:283 and
      libpurple/protocols/oscar/oscar.c:1294 and with selective
      _(message) calls of this message. I think, the errror should stay
      translated in the notification window, but untranslated in the
      log. As an alternative, two seperate error messages (for users in
      notification windows and for developers in the log) can be used.

Björn