Translated ICQ/SSL error message in log

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Nov 24 11:01:46 EST 2010

On 11/24/2010 02:57 AM, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried the option "Require encryption" in account settings for my
> ICQ account (Pidgin 2.7.7, manually compiled for openSUSE 11.3/x86_64).
>
> This does not work for ICQ. The error message is
>
>    "You required encryption in your account settings, but one of the
>    servers doesn't support it."

This is correct.  Unfortunately some of the new ICQ servers don't support SSL
(more on this below).  As far as an ICQ account goes, the only combinations of
options that will work are:
  * clientLogin off and connection security set to "Don't use encryption"
  * clientLogin on and connection security set to "Don't use encryption"
  * clientLogin on and connection security set to "Use encryption if available"

<snip>
> I have two questions:
>
>   1. What does the message "startOSCARSession was missing tlsCertName"
>      mean? Doesn't ICQ support TLS? Or is this some kind of certificate
>      error?

The clientLogin authentication method gives us a tlsCertName if we can connect
to a BOS (Basic Oscar Service) server that supports SSL.  (It is intended for
the validation of the certificate that the BOS server will present.)  Currently,
none of the ICQ BOS servers support SSL, so that field will be missing from the
clientLogin response until the ICQ people get their BOS servers to do SSL.

>   2. Why is there an translated error message in log file? I think, it
>      would be better (for people, who will read such logs) to have the
>      original error message in log file. May be, we can do this with
>      _N("You required encryption in your account settings, but one of
>      the servers doesn't support it.") in
>      libpurple/protocols/oscar/clientlogin.c:283 and
>      libpurple/protocols/oscar/oscar.c:1294 and with selective
>      _(message) calls of this message. I think, the errror should stay
>      translated in the notification window, but untranslated in the
>      log. As an alternative, two seperate error messages (for users in
>      notification windows and for developers in the log) can be used.

This is a limitation of our connection error mechanism.  In order for the
correctly translated message to appear in the UI, the translated message must be
passed to purple_connection_error_reason(), which dumps the reason message to
the debug log whether it's translated or not.  We can't change
purple_connection_error_reason() to accept both a translated and an untranslated
string until 3.0.0, but generally we can live with just the error number and
knowing that it's in oscar to be able to figure out what's going on.

John