Problems Downloading Source

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:08:29 EDT 2010

On 10/07/2010 08:57 PM, Dharmesh Bhatt wrote:

> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/UsingPidginMonotone. I followed the
> instructions to download the bootstrapped database, but when I actually
> tried to pull the database with the command:
>
> mtn -d $DATABASE pull --set-default mtn.pidgin.im <http://mtn.pidgin.im>
> "im.pidgin.*"
>
> I was given the following error
>
> mtn: misuse: database /home/user/monotone_databases/pidgin.mtn does not
> exist

Was the actual error you got, or did you change the path name? If it is
the actual error, then you followed the instructions a little to closely
(and probably missed an earlier error).

Here are the instructions broken up:

$ DATABASE=/home/user/monotone_databases/pidgin.mtn
$ WORKINGDIR=/home/user/code/pidgin-mtn

The above two lines set the paths you are going to use for the database
and your code. You need to set them to appropriate locations. Unless
your username is actually 'user', then the next command should have failed:

$ cd $(dirname $DATABASE)

The above should have given you a "No such file or directory" error, as
it would have tried to change to the /home/user/monotone_databases
directory, which almost certainly doesn't exist.

$ wget http://developer.pidgin.im/static/pidgin.mtn.bz2
$ bzip2 -d pidgin.mtn.bz2

The above two commands likely worked, but the monotone database would
not be in the location specified in the DATABASE environment variable.

$ mtn -d $DATABASE pull --set-default mtn.pidgin.im "im.pidgin.*"
$ mtn -d $DATABASE co -b im.pidgin.pidgin $WORKINGDIR

So these two commands would not have found the database, because they
were looking in /home/user/monotone_databases/

Maybe this would be a better way to write the instructions:

   $ DATABASE=/home/$USER/monotone_databases/pidgin.mtn
   $ WORKINGDIR=/home/$USER/code/pidgin-mtn

   # Download the bootstrap database.  For example:
   $ mkdir -p $(dirname $DATABASE)
   $ cd $(dirname $DATABASE)
   $ wget http://developer.pidgin.im/static/pidgin.mtn.bz2
   $ bzip2 -d pidgin.mtn.bz2

   $ mkdir -p $(dirname $WORKINGDIR)
   $ mtn -d $DATABASE pull --set-default mtn.pidgin.im "im.pidgin.*"
   $ mtn -d $DATABASE co -b im.pidgin.pidgin $WORKINGDIR

-casey