Quick pidgin on Solaris question

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Sep 28 20:16:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
> What does this error mean?
>
> raub at abaco pidgin-2.7.3> ./configure GLIB_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"

*snip*

> checking EXTERN.h usability... no
> checking EXTERN.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to devel at pidgin.im ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
> checking for EXTERN.h... no
> checking for perl.h... no
> configure: error:
> Perl development headers not found.
> Use --disable-perl if you do not need Perl scripting support.
>
> raub at abaco pidgin-2.7.3> which perl
> /usr/bin/perl
> raub at abaco pidgin-2.7.3>

I think the configure script is actually looking for perl's C API
development library--not the executable for perl.  This is often a
separate package (for example, "perl" versus "libperl-dev" in Ubuntu).
 I don't know what the equivalent package is on Solaris.

I guess I should also mention that it seems possible to me that you DO
have the appropriate perl C dev library installed but configure can't
find it because of that error about EXTERN.h... I really don't know
what's up with that.

--Mark