getting TLS/SSL client-side certificate into 3.0.0?

Lucas Fisher lucas.fisher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 19:59:48 EDT 2011

Finally got time to get my code up on mtn.pidgin.im. See the branch:
	im.pidgin.cpw.ljfisher.ssl_client_auth

I've been able to successfully use certificate authentication with the Openfire
XMPP server.

To test it out:
1. Configure with --enable-cyrus-sasl. I have to look into whether this
requirement can go away.
2. Create your own client certificate and key. Can be self-signed. Put the key
and certificate in a PKCS12 file.
3. Configure Openfire to do SSL client authentication and add to the client's
cert to the Openfire client truststore. Ask for more assistance.
4. In pidgin create an account for your XMPP server.
5. Do Tool -> Certificates -> Your Certificates -> Add. Select your PKCS12 file
and put in the passwords as requested.
6. Edit $HOME/.purple/accounts.xml and add a node under your account giving
the id of the certificate you added in step 5 as so:
	<account>
		<certificateid>mycertificate</certificateid>
	</account>
This will be accessible via the GUI at some point.
7. Enable (login to) your account. You should be prompted for a password to
access your key, but not for the server.

Still needs some UI implemented. I want allow each XMPP account to select
which certificate/key to use but haven't figure out how to add that.
PurpleAccountOption is the obvious solution but it looks like it is set at
startup and cannot be changed later??

More polish and testing as always.

If you want to get a working setup, let me know and I can help.

Lucas