Plans for 3.0.0

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Apr 18 02:42:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Nader Morshed <morshed.nader at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:26:55 -0400
> John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
>>   * Kill deprecated API.
>
> Are there any plans to kill off the purple_signal/purple_value API (As
> well as likely all the other bits that go with them) and replace them
> with the relevant sections from glib?
>
> I remember it coming up in discussion a while ago that they were
> originally used because glib's API was functional enough for 2.0, but
> perhaps it has changed enough in the meanwhile to warrant axing that
> section from libpurple's codebase?

I think the generally feeling is that, if glib provides the same
functionality as the purple_signal/purple_value API, then we should
totally kill off the purple_signal/purple_value stuff and use glib.
It's silly for us to maintain our own version of these--it doesn't
gain us anything and makes more work for us.  There is also something
to be said for using a common API that new developers might already be
familiar with.

--Mark