Moving to Hg without any analysis at all

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 7 20:52:16 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 19:51 -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> P.S.  I see your comments regarding Signed-Off-By:, and using that
>       convention is a good suggestion.  It's at least a standard way
>       to work around that particular metadata deficiency.

Unfortunately, the hg tools that support anything seem to use a
convention of looking for "committer:" lines. I'd say that if we care
about them, we should patch those tools to look for either a committer:
line or the top Signed-off-by: line (assuming they don't, of course).

I stand by the conversion process using "committer:" and also support us
adopting a convention of using "Signed-off-by" for the same reason: the
convention with Signed-off-by in Linux is that you are agreeing to the
"Developer's Certificate of Origin". So we shouldn't fake those for
historical commits, but I'd love to see us start using them.

Richard