PurpleCipher breakout

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Feb 14 14:09:37 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
> I just pushed a new branch to break the hash/cipher implementations out
> to separate files.  The branch is named im.pidgin.cipher_breakout.

What's the motivation for moving it into a separate directly and
building it as a convenience library?

> Registering ciphers is similar to before, but instead of registering
> with the address of the ops struct which is static to cipher.c, you now
> call a non-static function in the sub-library.  To do this, you need to
> add a prototype above the register function (you'll see it).

Hmm, does this change libpurple's public API?  Or is it ok because the
convenience library gets included in libpurple itself?  In any case,
if you're exposing purple_g_checksum_* then this probably shouldn't go
into im.pidgin.pidgin, but rather im.pidgin.pidgin.next.minor.
Although, I think we should probably put underscores in front of the
purple_g_checksum_* functions and mark them as deprecated and warn
people away from using them.  Or maybe only expose the headers #ifdef
_PURPLE_INTERNAL_H_?

--Mark