Time to Leave Monotone Behind?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sun Jan 16 20:25:28 EST 2011

John Bailey spake unto us the following wisdom:
> It's been discussed a number of times over the last couple years that we
> should consider moving away from Monotone.  At this point, I'm now
> inclined to agree.  To that end, I propose that we move from Monotone to
> Mercurial.  I'll come back to this in a bit.

I think most are aware of my position on this, but for the record, I
am also satisfied with a move to Mercurial.  I have used it on a
number of other projects and for quite a few personal repositories,
and it is now my DVCS of choice.  I prefer the Monotone history model
in a number of ways (e.g., its more complete divorce between the
history graph and metadata, complete signature coverage, etc.), but
Mercurial as a tool is more pleasant to use, and I do not believe that
its representation shortcomings with respect to Monotone are critical.
In fact, most are purely academic concerns, and will have no
functional bearing on our usage.

While this is my position on the issue, I am not an active developer
at the moment, and it should certainly be taken with a grain of salt.

Ethan