Time to Leave Monotone Behind?

Marcus Lundblad ml at update.uu.se
Tue Jan 18 03:40:42 EST 2011

mån 2011-01-17 klockan 20:35 -0800 skrev Paul Aurich:
> And John Bailey spoke on 01/15/2011 10:32 AM, saying:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > For almost four years now, we've been using Monotone as our source
> > repository.  Over that time, it's proven itself to work very well for
> > us, I think.  However, there have always been some annoyances with it.
>
> > As for my specific desire to use Mercurial, here are a few things we
> > gain (git may offer some or all of these as well, but I'm not
> > particularly fond of git, as we all know):
>
> <snip reasons/>
>
> > What do you guys say?
>
> I'm fine with anything (staying as is, or moving to Mercurial or git), with
> a preference for moving to a new system (and a slight preference toward
> Mercurial, based on the reasons outlined as well as using it recently
> hacking at Prosody and a few of its dependencies)

Personally I'd prefer git, for much the same reason as Paul prefers
mercurial (using it for other projects).
And as someone pointed out, github is one good reason, too. Enables
contributors to share their work easily.

But I'd say I wouldn't be dead-set against going with mercurial (or
staying with monotone) as well.

//Marcus

> That, and enough Hg<>Git conversion projects exist that contributors who
> would rather use Git should have an easier time of it (I could probably be
> convinced into setting up a cron job to automate an hg fast-export | git
> fast-import repo)
>

> > John
> >

> ~Paul

Marcus Lundblad
Phone +46 (0)18 250582    | Cell +46 (0)733 386299
XMPP mlundblad at jabber.org | XMPP mlundblad at gmail.com
MSN  ml at update.uu.se      | ICQ  11604698