Mercurial vs Git

Eoin Coffey ecoffey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:13:16 EST 2011

I took the liberty of illustrating this on github.  Mostly for my
benefit, since your conclusion seemed wrong, but I couldn't be sure
until I walked through it :-P

In short: Yes they will see your history, but not necessarily your branch.

I followed your example and it lives at :
https://github.com/ecoffey/pidgin-illustration

You'll notice https://github.com/ecoffey/pidgin-illustration/branches
only lists master, but
https://github.com/ecoffey/pidgin-illustration/network shows all the
'B*' commits happening in a second line of commits and then the merge.

So yeah the branch rlaager-foo is just a pointer to a commit;  And to
push the "branch" (which is the set of 'B*' commits) you do not need
to push the handy label that points to the head of that branch.  Which
almost kind of makes sense!

And here is what I did at the command line to reproduce this in git:

mkdir pidgin-illustration; cd pidgin-illustration
git init
touch A1.txt
git add A1.txt ; git commit -m 'A1'
git push origin master

git checkout -b rlaager-foo # this creates the branch and switches to it

touch B1.txt; git add B1.txt ; git commit -m 'B1'

# Repeat above for B2, B3

git checkout master

# Repeat touch, add, commit for A2, A3

And then finally:

ecoffey at aenea : ~/Code/pidgin-illustration
$ git branch
* master
  rlaager-foo

ecoffey at aenea : ~/Code/pidgin-illustration
$ git merge rlaager-foo --no-ff
Merge made by recursive.
 create mode 100644 B1.txt
 create mode 100644 B2.txt
 create mode 100644 B3.txt

ecoffey at aenea : ~/Code/pidgin-illustration
$ git log -n 1
commit 6fc76c5bc9ac0929f7fd1e2e2d2fcb2840d394e1
Merge: e9e3659 ecf1201
Author: Eoin Coffey <ecoffey at gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 19 20:00:27 2011 -0700

    Merge branch 'rlaager-foo'

ecoffey at aenea : ~/Code/pidgin-illustration
$ git push origin
Counting objects: 13, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (12/12), done.
Writing objects: 100% (12/12), 1.01 KiB, done.
Total 12 (delta 6), reused 0 (delta 0)
To git at github.com:ecoffey/pidgin-illustration.git
   c4c7b1d..6fc76c5  master -> master

I used the --no-ff option to specify that git should do a 'fast
forward' merge.  This makes sure a individual merge commit is
generated to match the example you were describing.

Anyways, hope that helps.

-Eoin