Mercurial vs Git

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:21:36 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Eoin Coffey <ecoffey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I took the liberty of illustrating this on github.  Mostly for my
> benefit, since your conclusion seemed wrong, but I couldn't be sure
> until I walked through it :-P
>
> In short: Yes they will see your history, but not necessarily your branch.
>
> I followed your example and it lives at :
> https://github.com/ecoffey/pidgin-illustration

Thanks for this example, it has been very useful :)

> I used the --no-ff option to specify that git should do a 'fast
> forward' merge.  This makes sure a individual merge commit is
> generated to match the example you were describing.

It's the other way around; --no-ff specifies that git should _not_ do
a fast-forward merge. But in fact, in this particular case it's not
needed to specify that, because a fast-forward merge cannot be made
unless the base of the branch to be merged is the same as the tip of
the branch to merge to (you can ff merge to A1, but not A3). In order
to do a fast-forward merge you would need to rebase rlaager-foo to
master first (A3); then the branch base of rlaager-foo would be A3.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras