Mercurial vs Git

Evan Schoenberg, M.D. evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 19 23:16:12 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:56 PM, John Bailey wrote:

>> Then, for the people that want to have the full history, they can setup a
>> graft-point[3] and voilá; the full history would be available on each one of the
>> repos.
>
> This is an interesting feature that some may find useful.  That said, the Adium
> guys have done pretty well without such functionality in their new "each branch
> is a repo" model.  It does make me wonder how difficult writing such an
> extension for mercurial would be, though.

Specifically, the utility of deep history earlier than the current major branch is minimal in most cases; it should always be available in some way, but providing it at all times to each developer with every checkout is certainly overkill if avoiding doing so is easy or provides other conveniences.

-Evan