Time to drop the qq plugin?

Christopher Forsythe chris at growl.info
Tue May 10 13:06:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM, microcai <microcai at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> 于 2011年05月11日 00:39, Christopher Forsythe 写道:
> > On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM, microcai <microcai at fedoraproject.org
> >wrote:

> contributing

> >> them
> >>
> >> I AM one of the  libqq-pidgin maintainers.
> >> Actually I was thinking about inform you guys about migrating the
> >> libqq-pidgin when it get ready.
> >>
> >> And , yeah, it works now. But due to *not upstream* so it does no exist.
> >> Few people have tried. We need more test. And brings it to the upstream
> >> seems to be the right choice.
> >>

> > I'd think it would be better to just direct those who want qq to this
> prpl
> > rather than ship this one since it's so new.
> >
> > Chris
>
> People who need it will use it no matter how *new* it is.
> People who don't need it will not use it no matter how stable it is.
>
> And by including it, we help the people who really need but unable to
> get it by himself.
>
> So, hey, please merge it back, don't erase it.

Sure, people who need it will need it, that's assumed. The problem becomes
that if Pidgin ships this prpl, or libpurple does, then it becomes a matter
of supporting it on the pidgin side.

I'd suggest a url inside the account window that points to the new prpl
until it is deemed ready to go, if ever, or something along those lines. I
don't agree with just adding some random prpl just because "people will need
it". That's an egregious lack of restraint that shouldn't be the policy of
any application with a user base even 1/8th the size of pidgin, finch and
libpurple.

Chris