Agreement with ICQ

Zachary West zacwest at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:25:21 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 09:27, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> That agreement has a number of provisions that trouble me (as a layman);
> we should maybe consult our lawyers.

Agreed. I don't think _any_ of these limitations can be imposed on
Pidgin/libpurple.

Especially troubling to me:

"(iii) a prohibition against modifying or creating derivative works of any
ICQ components of your Developer Product;"

"(iv) a prohibition against decompiling, reverse engineering, disassembling,
and otherwise reducing the ICQ components of your Developer Product to a
human-perceivable form, to the full extent allowed by law;"

Is viewing the source a human-perceivable form?

--
Zachary West