pidgin: d1328041: disapproval of revision '8e7b47f18e014b8...

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Tue Oct 4 04:16:15 EDT 2011

On 10/04/2011 03:02 AM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> Other thoughts:
> - Andrew, thanks for tackling such a large portion of the 3.0.0 API
> cleanup!  Your commits look great to me, and I definitely appreciate
> all the work you're donig.

Yes, Andrew, I don't want to dissuade you from making this effort.
You're stepping up to the plate and getting stuff done that needs doing
and I want to thank you for that as well.  We'd love to talk with you as
a developer while you're making changes on IRC or XMPP so we can give
you feedback and you can bounce ideas off people in casually as you work
through.  I'm always more than happy to give my two cents. :)

> - I'm sure someone will try to answer your API-related email questions
> eventually :-(
> - Some Pidgin devs think it's useful for committers to be available in
> IRC or the XMPP multi-user chat while making commits, in case someone
> has questions about them.  Chat room info here:
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PidginCommunity#WherecanIfindPidgin-relatedchatonline

We need to remember during this process that while massive cleanup and
breakage may be appropriate right now as we work toward 3.0.0, we are
maintaining a library that people use outside of Pidgin and Finch.

We should see if we can figure out why any given piece of code exists
and if anyone might be using before we make decisions, unless the code
is tagged deprecated or the changes consolidate features into better
organized functions that do the same things.  If there's any doubt about
a change or removal, it's best it come up in devel at conference.pidgin.im,
#pidgin or devel at pidgin.im and receive at minimum general indifference,
but preferably some consensus.

Kevin