New PurplePrefType: string with hint list

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:10:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm still trying to improve usability of Pidgin for Gadu-Gadu users,
so I came up with another idea for libpurple API. Among others, we
have pref types which maps to GtkComboBox and GtkEntry. I need
something like GtkComboBoxEntry - entry box with drop-down list with
some hint-values.

It may be used for:
- providing a server to connect to (I need it for Gadu-Gadu): some
known servers would be pre-loaded to list
- providing a port to connect to (used in xmpp, irc): popular default
ports could be on hint-list
- connection encoding (important for irc)

The new option could be named PURPLE_PREF_STRINGS or
PURPLE_PREF_STRING_HINTED, to avoid conflicts with PURPLE_PREF_STRING
and PURPLE_PREF_STRING_LIST. It can be initialized like
PURPLE_PREF_STRING_LIST, but with GList of strings, instead of
key-value pairs.

As always, I'm waiting for comments and/or acknowledgment, so I could
start implementation.

Tomek