New PurplePrefType: string with hint list

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Aug 11 19:23:01 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 06:44:09PM -0400, Ethan Blanton typed:
> This is all 3.0 stuff; do we want ot hold ourselves back so far for
> 3.0?  Are we going to try to target (or at least achieve compatability
> with) Glib/Gtk+ 3.x for libpurple 3?
>
> Ethan

Ordinarily, my opinion on this would be to say "screw compatibility"
and go with the newest of everything we can get away with moving to
new versions of.  In this case, however, we have to be careful.  For
glib, it should be safe to move to the newest current version--there
is no 3.x, and we have workarounds in place for our stuff to work
correctly on Windows.  For GTK+, however, we have to make sure we
don't break compatibility with whatever version of GTK+ we use on
Windows (I believe 2.16.x is what we currently use there), as newer
versions are an absolute train wreck for us and last I heard there
were no 3.x builds for Windows.  So my overall response is do whatever
we want with respect to glib, but be extremely paranoid about screwing
with GTK+ too much.

John