New PurplePrefType: string with hint list

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 09:48:03 EDT 2012

2012/8/11 Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>:
> I noticed that you use
> g_list_free_full(), which was added in glib 2.28.  Note that our
> configure.ac currently allows glib versions as far back as 2.16.0.  We
> usually do one of the following:
> while (list != NULL) {
>     g_free(list->data);
>     list = g_slist_delete_link(list, list);
> }
>
> or:
> g_slist_foreach(list, (GFunc)g_free, NULL);
> g_slist_free(list);

Maybe we could introduce compat.c / compat.h files for libpurple,
where we could implement such handy new functions for old versions of
glib?

2012/8/11 Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>:
> I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without the user needing to
> think about it.  It sounds like there is a hub server that Pidgin
> normal connects to to determine where to log in?  And that server
> sometimes goes down?  What do official Gadu-Gadu clients do in that
> case?  Are they still able to log in?  I'm wondering if it would make
> sense for us to run a light-weight CGI on pidgin.im that returns a
> list of Gadu-Gadu servers, and then have libpurple fetch this list as
> a backup.

When hub server goes down, official Gadu-Gadu client just isn't able
to connect (connected clients are unaffected). Other GG clients allows
to type in server address - users are familiar with it. Anyway, CGI on
pidgin.im isn't a bad idea for users, who choose automatic selection
method.

Tomek