Plans for IPv6 support on windows?

Gunnar Boe gunnar.boe at uninett.no
Thu Jan 19 02:16:58 EST 2012

On 18.01.2012 20:45, Eion Robb wrote:

> On 19 January 2012 05:51, Gunnar Boe <gunnar.boe at uninett.no
> <mailto:gunnar.boe at uninett.no>> wrote:
>
>     I have now tested XMPP on:
>     - an IPv6-only network and also on
>     - a dual IPv4/IPv6 network
>
>     This DLL works on both for XMPP for IPv6 connections.  No problems
>     found so far.
>
>     I have not tested this DLL for :
>     - XMPP on an IPv4 only network.
>     - fallback mechanisms on IPv6
>
>     I also tried MSN, but that failed (Mirsoft don't have their MSN
>     servers on IPv6).
>
>     We are very grateful for your prompt response and we will continue
>     to use this dll. Don't hesitate to contact me if you some more
>     specific testing done relating to IPv6.
>
>     This page provide info on domains with IPv6 enabled XMPP servers:
>     http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html
>
>     Check out this website if you want IPv6 at home:
>     http://www.sixxs.net
>
>     Cheers,
>       gunnar
>

> Interesting that it worked for you.  I had a quick test this morning
> on my IPv4-only system and get a lot of  "Windows socket error #10014"
> errors, so most protocols wouldn't connect, not on XMPP though.  From
> MSDN:
> "10014 - WSAEFAULT - Bad address. The system detected an invalid
> pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument of a call.
> This error occurs if an application passes an invalid pointer value,
> or if the length of the buffer is too small. For instance, if the
> length of an argument, which is a sockaddr structure, is smaller than
> the sizeof(SOCKADDR)."
It migth be related to IPv6 tunneling mechanisms. If you are running
Windows7, you should check the output of ipconfig and see if you have
Teredo or 6to4 configured.  If so, then use Wireshark to check if Pigdin
is trying to connect using these mechanisms (addresses).
The reason why I'm pointing you in this direction is that I have managed
to do a test on an IPv4 only network (hard to find one of those these
days:-) and that worked fine.  However, I have turned off Teredo and
6to4 on my machine.

regards,
gunnar