Plans for IPv6 support on windows?

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Wed Jan 18 14:45:34 EST 2012

On 19 January 2012 05:51, Gunnar Boe <gunnar.boe at uninett.no> wrote:

>  I have now tested XMPP on:
> - an IPv6-only network and also on
> - a dual IPv4/IPv6 network
>
> This DLL works on both for XMPP for IPv6 connections.  No problems found
> so far.
>
> I have not tested this DLL for :
> - XMPP on an IPv4 only network.
> - fallback mechanisms on IPv6
>
> I also tried MSN, but that failed (Mirsoft don't have their MSN servers on
> IPv6).
>
> We are very grateful for your prompt response and we will continue to use
> this dll. Don't hesitate to contact me if you some more specific testing
> done relating to IPv6.
>
> This page provide info on domains with IPv6 enabled XMPP servers:
> http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html
>
> Check out this website if you want IPv6 at home:
> http://www.sixxs.net
>
> Cheers,
>   gunnar

Interesting that it worked for you.  I had a quick test this morning on my
IPv4-only system and get a lot of  "Windows socket error #10014" errors, so
most protocols wouldn't connect, not on XMPP though.  From MSDN:
"10014 - WSAEFAULT - Bad address. The system detected an invalid pointer
address in attempting to use a pointer argument of a call. This error
occurs if an application passes an invalid pointer value, or if the length
of the buffer is too small. For instance, if the length of an argument,
which is a sockaddr structure, is smaller than the sizeof(SOCKADDR)."