Pidgin at ROSEdu's CDL

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Thu Jan 19 15:03:03 EST 2012

Hi there,

On 19 January 2012 22:15, Mihai Maruseac <mihai.maruseac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ROSEdu [1] - an Open Source Organization from Romania - organizes an
> Open Source Course for undergraduates (freshmen usually) - now at its
> fifth edition - named CDL [2],[3]. Basically the course is made of two
> main parts: some lectures on technical aspects and coding to an open
> source project. We plan to include Pidgin in this edition and have
> selected a list of items from the Trac pages [4].
>
> Because one of the lectures will touch git we will use it for
> development [5] - repo will be added today or tomorrow from the actual
> monotone state - and after each feature's completion the student or a
> mentor will forward the patch to you. Is this ok? Should we take a
> different working procedure?
>
> We will tell the students to subscribe to this mailing list if they
> desire. Are there any other lists they should subscribe to?
>
> We will also tell them to use the IRC channel.
>
> Hope everything is ok and that the course will solve some things from the
> list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> [1]: http://rosedu.org/
> [2]: http://cdl.rosedu.org/2012/english
> [3]: http://cdl.rosedu.org/blog/
> [4]: http://pastebin.com/gsvCMg3Z
> [5]: https://github.com/rosedu/Pidgin
>
> Mihai Maruseac
> on behalf of ROSEdu

I think that's a pretty neat idea :)  Looking at your blog your students
have achieved some pretty impressive feats.

Just a few minor comments:

Is your git repo based on the source available from
http://pidgin.im/download/source or from im.pidgin.pidgin in the mtn source
tree? (I'm a bit confused since you call it 'Stable Pidgin Source')  You
should probably be aware that we're in process of merging in breaking
changes in preparation for our backwards-incompatible 3.0.0 release, so the
code in mtn may break horribly - not a good experience for a new coder ;).

Looking at some of the tickets in http://pastebin.com/gsvCMg3Z some work
has already been started on them in other branches in mtn, such as
logviewer changes and the GTK3 integration.

If you're getting your students to join the IRC channel, they might want to
join the XMPP developer channel too at xmpp:devel at conference.pidgin.im

That's it from me, other devs might have something to say too.  Looking
forward to seeing you and your students on IRC and XMPP :)

Cheers,
Eion