[GSoC 2012] Planned API changes - RFC

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Jul 13 02:49:57 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Elliott Sales de Andrade
<qulogic at pidgin.im> wrote:

> I'm still not sure what's wrong with the hints we currently have.

I agree with Tomasz on this point.  I've attached 2 screenshots to aid
this discussion.  I drew a red circle around the label and field in
question.  (Tomasz is asking about the Add Buddy dialog and my
screenshots are from the account editor... but they both have the same
issue.)

In the current dialog we're asking users "please enter your username
...and by username we mean ICQ #."  This seems silly to me.  Wouldn't
it be simpler if we asked users "please enter your ICQ #"?  This has
the added benefit of reducing the amount of text in the dialog, which
means there is less for the user to read, which should make the dialog
ever-so-slightly easier to use.

It's true that we generally use consistent terms across our UI in an
attempt to provide a uniform interface to the users... but maybe this
is once place where we should diverge?