[GSoC 2012] Planned API changes - RFC

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Jul 16 09:18:07 EDT 2012

Tomasz Wasilczyk spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Some of protocols supports message delivery acknowledgment. Some of
> our protocol plugins support it in weird way, by displaying popup with
> something like "message was _probably_ not delivered".
>
> We may support it similiar way as typing notifications (at least,
> before webkit). We may provide three states: "sending", "delivered",
> "not delivered". Conversation theme would handle it in way it wants
> to: by displaying notification (like about typing) or by flashing
> indicator.

Support for message delivery notifications sounds very reasonable in
general.  I'm not sure I understand your suggestion, however; it seems
like message delivery should be per-message, while typing notification
is per-conversation.  I would suggest that we implement it per-message
if at all possible.  I would imagine this can be done with message ID
and styles in webkit, although it may not be worth trying to attempt
it in imhtml.

> Note 1: TODO found in update_typing_message (that's why it doesn't
> work in 3.0.0)
> Note 2: some TODOs found in server.h, about moving to conversation API

Yes, nearly all of server.h is slated to disappear, eventually.  It's
a remnant from before libpurple provided a coherent API to
applications, and libpurple/pidgin were one monolithic application.

Ethan