[GSoC 2012] [Gadu-Gadu] Work status after midterm

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:14:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

I wanted to do short summary of my work, after GSoC midterm. Since
publishing here my last summary, I have:

- done some (well, most of my work was that) code refactoring;

- hacked newest available original Gadu-Gadu client to run with
totally unencrypted connections (and done some findings about new gg
protocol);

- implemented new feature: automatic contact list synchronization, as in xmpp;

- created dissector plugin for wireshark - available at [1];

- reimplemented avatar support - the old one used *huge* amount of
http requests;

- made a new dns resolver for libgadu, that uses libpurple functions;

- made some inline images related improvements: fixed receiving of
inline images (broken on 3.0.0), added notifications about delivery
status of sent images;

- fixed, reimplemented and improved account registration and password
change dialogs;

- some libpurple or pidgin fixes and improvements: username validation
support, account setup dialog polishing, some small bugfixes;
discussion about some of them at [2].

Currently, I'm working on (most of these are under discussion):

- adding validation to request API;

- message delivery notifications;

- user-friendliness issues with misleading labels for protocols, which
doesn't name their user identifiers as "username";

- proxy support.

In following week, I may not be able to have access to Internet. I
will continue my work offline.

Detailed descriptions of these changes are available at [3], source
code is commited to [4].

Tomek

[1] http://hg.pidgin.im/soc/2012/tomkiewicz/gg-dissector/
[2] http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2012-July/010846.html