Mercurial test conversion

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:19:41 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Daniel Atallah
<daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Daniel Atallah
> <daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Daniel Atallah
>> <daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We've made a number of tweaks to the conversion process and there is
>>> now an updated test conversion available at
>>> http://hg.guifications.org/pidgin-hg-2012-05-31/
>>
>> <snip />
>>
>>> Review and testing is welcome.
>>
>> After some more minor tweaks and a few more test runs, I think we're
>> ready to go.
>>
>> The server has been configured based on
>> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/UsingPidginMercurial
>>
>> http://pidgin.im is now being served off of a hg repo.  This means
>> that you probably shouldn't commit to the mtn repo (although it isn't
>> a real problem if you do).
>>
>> Making the cut-over for everything else is a matter of deciding when
>> we want to pull the trigger.
>> At that point we do the following:
>>  * put mtn into readonly mode
>>  * Run a final incremental conversion (takes ~20 minutes)
>>  * Copy the repositories to hg.pidgin.im (this will probably take a
>> couple hours)
>>
>> I'm proposing that we cut over at 17:00 US Eastern time (21:00 UTC) on
>> Wednesday June 13th.
>> If something hasn't been pushed by then, there are a couple options:
>>  * Create a patch from mtn and import into the appropriate hg repo
>>  * We can run another incremental conversion - this would be a bit of
>> effort, so ideally we'd use the patch method unless there was a
>> compelling reason not to.
>>

> We're underway. :)
>
> Unfortunately, the process started a little later than planned, and I
> significantly underestimated the time that it'll take to transfer the
> repositories from the box where the conversion occurred to
> hg.pidgin.im (current estimate is that there is about 6.5 hour
> remaining on the transfer), so the repositories will not actually be
> available on hg.pidgin.im until tomorrow at some point.

The repositories are now all up at http://hg.pidgin.im (actually
they've been up for a while)!

The wiki page at http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/UsingPidginMercurial
contains a lot of information about how things are set up and how to
interact with the repositories.

There are a few outstanding tasks that will need to get finished up
over the next few days, but none of these should cause a showstopper
type of problem.

Thanks goes to the many people that have been involved in making this happen.

-D