GSoC Android front-end

Michael Zangl michael at fam-zangl.de
Mon Mar 19 19:18:16 EDT 2012

Hello,
I'm working on that, too. My tip: Just get all the libraries building
and make creating accounts and connecting to them work.

Building a GUI is just the joy in between endless debugging sessions,
jni writing, getting compilers to do what you want, work around some of
the bugs and strange things the android ndk does and so on, so it makes
up about 5% of the time.

Whith the experience I got from my experiments my tip is to just get
accounts, contact lists and chatting working and focus on wrapping the
(nicely structured and object oriented) interfaces of libpurple to java.
The client is no problem after you got the interface to work correctly.

I currently have around 30 classes wrapping the core functions,
initializing libpurple and wrapping the account list, but I only have 5
Classes for the accounts window with the ability to add/remove/change
accounts. Mind that you also need to provide your own Eventloop
implementation and that you should not call libpurple functions from the
UI Thread, because it sometimes has not enough stack left. And mind that
most libpurple functions are not thread safe.

Best regards,
Michael Zangl