[GSoC] Photo Sharing project proposal

Valentina Manea valentina at rosedu.org
Wed Mar 21 01:41:49 EDT 2012

On 03/21/12 05:35, Jorge Villaseñor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Valentina Manea<valentina at rosedu.org>  wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> My name is Valentina Manea and I'm a second year Computer Science student. I
>> would like to participate in this year's Google Summer of Code as a
>> developer for Pidgin.
>>
>> I believe that an important missing feature is Yahoo!-like photo sharing.
>> While I do not believe that I can reverse-engineer the Yahoo! Messenger
>> protocol to enable a Pidgin client to use photo sharing while communicating
>> to a Yahoo! client, I have some ideas to do such a thing between two Pidgin
>> clients.
> Do you mean, implementing an ad-hoc protocol only working with pidgin clients?
>
>> I have considered several options, each with pros and cons, and I think the
>> most feasible option is to implement a plugin to "piggyback" the photo
>> sharing traffic over the supported protocols.
> Can you elaborate on this different options?
>
>> Do you think this might be a good idea for a GSoC project?
> Can you also elaborate on what exactly this feature is? I (and some
> others) don't uses yahoo! protocol. I don't really know what is this
> sharing feature.

I started from this ticket [0], from a Yahoo! Messenger feature but I
was thinking of doing something that is protocol independent.

This feature allows two people to share photos interactively. Each may
add pictures, see what photo the other one is looking at, add markers to
certain areas of the photo etc.

If implemented as a standalone Pidgin plugin it should work for any
protocol.

[0] http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/291

Valentina