[GSoC] Photo Sharing project proposal

Valentina Manea valentina at rosedu.org
Wed Mar 21 16:12:18 EDT 2012

On 03/21/12 09:55, Peter Lawler wrote:
> On 21/03/12 16:41, Valentina Manea wrote:
>
>> I started from this ticket [0], from a Yahoo! Messenger feature but I
>> was thinking of doing something that is protocol independent.
> Going out on a limb, but I'd suspect this may be an extension of Y!M
> 'Doodle'.
>
> Then again, that's how I'd do it - a whiteboard extension - because it
> would seem at the surface to be the sensible approach. But Y!M being Y!M
> probably means it's not done like that at all within that protocol ;)
>
> My 2c: I'd suggest looking at the Pidgin Whiteboard API as well as the
> the current state of the XMPP Whiteboard[1]. From there, other prpls
> could implement the functionality via plugins or within the prpl direct
> once it's established how the protocol works with pictures within their
> own whiteboard.
>
> Pete.
> [1] No, I have no idea, sorry.

As I can see here [2], the Whiteboard is not officially accepted into
XMPP. Yes, it is a starting point but that would restrict photo sharing
to XMPP only. As I said in the previous email, I think I would be
available to more users as a Pidgin feature rather than a XMPP feature.

[2] http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html