Idea about emoticon cache

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Mar 25 03:25:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM, zhang kai <kylerzhang11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> during the last week I did some research and found that MSN seem just
> wouldn't transmit the custom emoticon images, instead they just transmit the
> presentation string(they do have the custom emoticon functionality) and

I think I don't completely understand this statement.  It sounds like
you're saying MSN allows for custom emoticons, but that it just
displays a sequence of characters...?  Is that in Pidgin?  Or in
Microsoft's client?  Both?

> Google Chat even didn't support custom emoticon. XMPP has the XEP-0231 to
> exchange bits of binary, but I don't know how is it implemented in Pidgin. I
> don't have time to research more protocols. So I want to know: what protocol
> support custom emoticons?

Are you asking whether the underlying protocols support custom
emoticons?  Or whether Pidgin implements the functionality needed to
fetch and display custom emoticons for the protocols that allow it?  I
don't know the answer to either question, but if a protocol DOES
support custom emoticons but Pidgin DOESN'T, then perhaps it would be
reasonable for this scope of this project to include implementing
custom emoticons for a protocol or two?  You might need to install and
test the official Windows client for a protocol in order to determine
whether it supports custom emoticons.