Idea about emoticon cache

zhang kai kylerzhang11 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 03:43:12 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM, zhang kai <kylerzhang11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > during the last week I did some research and found that MSN seem just
> > wouldn't transmit the custom emoticon images, instead they just transmit
> the
> > presentation string(they do have the custom emoticon functionality) and
>
> I think I don't completely understand this statement.  It sounds like
> you're saying MSN allows for custom emoticons, but that it just
> displays a sequence of characters...?  Is that in Pidgin?  Or in
> Microsoft's client?  Both?

Yes, MSN allows for custom emoticons, you can choose an image as emoticon
and set a sequence of characters for it. When you send the custom emoticon
in Microsoft's client you can also see the image in the dialog. But neither
the Microsoft's client nor Pidgin could receive the custom emoticon image,
you can just see the sequence of characters. I tested with Pidgin, Win7
Live Messenger and even Win8 MSN.

> > Google Chat even didn't support custom emoticon. XMPP has the XEP-0231 to
> > exchange bits of binary, but I don't know how is it implemented in
> Pidgin. I
> > don't have time to research more protocols. So I want to know: what
> protocol
> > support custom emoticons?
>
> Are you asking whether the underlying protocols support custom
> emoticons?  Or whether Pidgin implements the functionality needed to
> fetch and display custom emoticons for the protocols that allow it?  I
> don't know the answer to either question, but if a protocol DOES
> support custom emoticons but Pidgin DOESN'T, then perhaps it would be
> reasonable for this scope of this project to include implementing
> custom emoticons for a protocol or two?  You might need to install and
> test the official Windows client for a protocol in order to determine
> whether it supports custom emoticons.

When I saw the idea on Pidgin Summer of Code 2012 projects page, I thought
Pidgin already supported the custom emoticons, just needed a cache system
to store them. But now it seems we need to implement custom emoticons
support first and I think this is a little beyond my capability.

Sorry I didn't say things clearly, and thanks for reading.