Idea about emoticon cache

zhang kai kylerzhang11 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 04:30:33 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM, zhang kai <kylerzhang11 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, MSN allows for custom emoticons, you can choose an image as emoticon
> > and set a sequence of characters for it. When you send the custom
> emoticon
> > in Microsoft's client you can also see the image in the dialog. But
> neither
> > the Microsoft's client nor Pidgin could receive the custom emoticon
> image,
> > you can just see the sequence of characters. I tested with Pidgin, Win7
> > Live Messenger and even Win8 MSN.
>
> Hmm, that sounds weird.  So you're saying that Microsoft's client
> allows you to insert a custom emoticon into an IM and send it, but it
> isn't displayed for the other person?  I would expect that to work.
> Maybe it's turned off my default?  Or maybe the two people must be on
> each other's buddy lists?

I feel weird too, if the custom emoticon isn't displayed for the other
person why did Microsoft  bother to implement the custom emoticon
functionality.

> > When I saw the idea on Pidgin Summer of Code 2012 projects page, I
> thought
> > Pidgin already supported the custom emoticons, just needed a cache
> system to
> > store them.
>
> Hmm, I think Pidgin does allow users to send and receive custom
> emoticons for MSN.  If you click on the "insert emoticon" button in
> the IM window there is a "Manage custom smileys" link.  This allows me
> to insert an image of my choosing and send it to the other person.  I
> didn't test whether the image actually shows up for the other person
> just now... but it's supposed to.

So I think I should just focus on how to design the emoticon system and
implement a set of functions that whenever other Pidgin developer need to
cache an emoticon they can use it?