GSoC - Android port

David Brazdil david.brazdil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 18:37:16 EDT 2012

Hello everyone,

My name is David and I'm one of the many who are looking for a project
at Google Summer of Code. Pidgin is a great piece of software, so
naturally it was one of the organizations I clicked on first, and I
have to say that the proposal of creating an Android UI for libpurple
is very appealing to me and it is also something I have lots of
experience with (both libpurple and messaging apps for Android).

If I may, I'd like to ask some questions though. The Ideas page
mentions that there is an Android port of libpurple. What is it's
current development status? I found the "pidroid" project
(http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~dtbartle/pidroid/), which seems to have
been abandoned for quite some time now. Since most of the third-party
libraries used by libpurple seem to have been compiled for Android, it
should not be too much work to create a libpurple Android build as
well, but together with creating the UI, it would be impossible to
finish in 10 weeks.

Thanks,
Dave