/pidgin/main: e6c37a5e6666: New dependency: libcurl

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:13:59 EDT 2012

I have just written draft of curl wrapper implementation [1]. It's
tied into purple event loop and allows using curl_easy interface. It
needs some more features to write (response headers handling, stopping
requests, maybe some more), but it works pretty well. It's still a
draft, so it needs some code polishing.

I was convinced, that was yesterday on devel at conference.pidgin.im.

>>> Adding libcurl, do we want to rework our HTTP utility functions to
>>> simply wrap libcurl?  They could automatically become more robust, but I
>>> am curious whether we care.
>>
>> I think so. But at first, I plan to write curl-specific wrapper:
>> functions like purple_curl_* to initialize curl handler (tie into
>> purple event loop), watch it and so on.
>>

> If we're still going to have our HTTP functions, then I don't see why
> this needs to exist (publically). That's just an artificial API
> dependency.

Actually, I think we could only maintain these purple_curl_* functions
and set our internal ones as deprecated: curl used with my brand new
wrapper [1] is pretty easy to use, so we can rewrite current code just
to use it. I think, we should export it to the public API, to allow
plugins using this new feature.

Example usage is shown in libpurple/protocols/gg/gg.c (see patch).

Waiting for comments,
Tomek

[1] http://pastebin.com/ra3pQD6L