/pidgin/main: e6c37a5e6666: New dependency: libcurl

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 03:05:25 EDT 2012

2012/9/29 Eion Robb <eion at robbmob.com>:
> I don't thing that purple functions should be specific to curl or lib soup,
> that it'd be best to wrap it (like we have done for farsight2/far stream and
> for nss and that other one) so that they can be swapped out as needed.  I
> would be more in favour of making the current request functions work with
> optionally either lib soup or curl, specified at compile time.

Are there any systems without libcurl (and with libsoup) worth it? It
would give the user ability to choose one of them, but withdraw the
developer ability to use advanced library-specific features [1].
That's was why I encouraged you to use any http library.

Anyway, current request functions API should be changed anyway - they
have some not really useful "features" (for example: providing request
URL twice, see [2]).

Tomek

[1] http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_easy_setopt.html
[2] http://hg.pidgin.im/pidgin/main/file/4fd6fe073c8f/libpurple/protocols/gg/avatar.c