GSOC: Chat Log

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 12:49:29 EDT 2013

2013/4/17 Nathan Loewen <loewen.nathan at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the responses.
> Looking at the backend code, is what is required for this an implementation
> of the existing PurpleLogLogger interface backed by a single SQLite
> database? Or do the proposed changes to the frontend require this interface
> to be reworked a bit. It looks to me like the frontend is handling reading
> the logs and search. Does it make sense to move these functions to libpurple
> to make better use of SQLite?
>
> Nathan Loewen.

Doing everything in UI would be the easiest (and dirty) way to do this task.

However, the UI have to be totally unaware of underlying database (for
example, to make it possible switching to something else in the
future). This approach also reduces code complexity and makes things
better considered. That's why I believe, this project is way harder
than it looks like and it's easy to screw it up. Here are some of
difficulties:
- frontend and backend totally splitted, connected via *external* API
- all routines should be (have to be?) asynchronous
- avoiding huge API - for example: conversation context should
probably use the same routines that log viewer uses
- long-lasting operations should provide a method to track them on progress bar
- figuring out good way to maintain inline images (this can be tricky
and may require devastating half of current API) -> remember, that
such messages will re-appear as conversation context on next Pidgin
start
- thinking forward: making it possible to use external log, or even
implement it (as a plugin?)

I hope, this project will be fulfilled honestly, because these
features are the ones which I mostly wait for.

Tomek